Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Very Special Delivery

Today was an interesting day, my translator is a college student and she had exams today so she was unable to join us on our trip to the baby house. I had to go to the baby house early today because we had to make a ‘special delivery’. My driver, Dusen picked me up at 8:30 this morning. I was told yesterday that we would be going to a hospital to pick up three babies, the ‘special delivery’, and transport them to the baby house. Off we go to a very remote hospital, we wait awhile and three nurses come out with three very small swaddled babies. Two of the babies were lay down on the back seat of the car, one of the nurses joined us and she held the other baby for the ride to the baby house. The nurse was a very interesting looking woman; she was all dressed up and had a shinny gold tooth. As it turns out, it was two baby girls and a baby boy, one was 12 days old, one was 5 days old and the other was 3 days old. Apparently at least two of the mothers were teenagers who delivered the babies and left. The babies slept all the way to the baby house, we pulled right up to a different door, a nurse came out and the three babies were swept inside immediately. There were a lot of images of that trip that I don’t think I’ll ever forget. The hospital was in an extremely remote and what seemed to be a very poor area. I say it seemed to be a poor area but I really can’t tell, it looked like many of the other areas I’ve seen as we drive out of the city to the baby house each day. All of a sudden I realized that these people may not be poor, this appears to be just the way they live in this part of Kazakhstan. It was actually enlightening as well as upsetting to realize how much we have at home and how little some of these people have but to them it’s just their way of life. Interesting and enlightening.

One of the things that I have to do everyday is to have a couple of pictures taken with me and BB. These pictures have to be dated and they will be submitted to the court with the adoption petition. The past two days my translator took the pictures, but as I mentioned earlier, she was not with us today so Dusen my driver had to come in to the baby house and take the pictures. Let me tell you a little about Dusen, he is a Kazakh who speaks Russian and he likes to talk! Dusen knows a few English words and when we try to talk if he doesn’t know the words in English he just switches to Russian and talks to me like I should understand every word he’s saying, it’s funny. Needless to say our communication is very limited. The drive to the baby house is a little over an hour each way. Dusen has a cassette player in his car and he plays a Russian/Kazakh rap music tape most of the time. My translator told me the people singing switch back and forth between Russian and Kazakh. Dusen also sings along to the tape on occasion, now that’s entertainment! So we go into the baby house and into the room where we are waiting for BB. Dusen notices that there is a piano in the room so he goes right over and begins to play. He plays a song or two and then he starts playing ‘My Bonnie lies over the ocean, my Bonnie lies over the sea’, I said, I know that one and he says American music, cowboy music. I just laughed at him, it was pretty funny.

BB was good today. He likes to be held and he likes to be held up high, good thing I’m tall! I have tried to put him on his blanket so he will play with his toys but he’s not too happy about that. The orphanage director told me through my interpreter that he wants love so he just wants to be held. Today was the first day he let me put him down on his blanket, he crawled a little and played for a minute or two and then he had enough. He also sat on my lap, which he hasn’t done before because it's not high enough up, and ‘played the piano’. He was banging on the keys for quite awhile. Hopefully he’s becoming more comfortable with me. We spent about an hour and a half together and then they came to get him. Tomorrow I am going to the baby house with my coordinator and the doctor for BB’s medical. Hopefully all will go well. Take care, Chris

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the amazing parts of my trip to Russia was all the people you meet. It's really incredible. And even with the language barrier they still try to communicate. It's great. I guess you should have tried to learn a few words of Russian!!! :)

Paula

qmiller said...

The pictures are beautiful...you managed to catch beautiful light in each of them! Nice job! Love the story about your driver and I'm glad you were there to observe the transfer from hospital to BH...an amazing opportunity that I bet not many APs have ever witnessed.
Quaintance
SKM to Madina

Lisa F. said...

Sounds like you are learning more than you expected too. Keep up the posts and pics and good luck tomorrow with the doctor!

Lisa

Unknown said...

What an amazing experience. I have never heard of anyone going along for the ride of babies going to the baby house. How very special.

Gretchen said...

What an exciting trip. I think we had your driver one day this past summer. Another couple we were there with had him take them to Medeu. There is a staircase with over 800 steps and he just flew up all them and once he reached the top, lit a cigarette and had a lengthy cell phone conversation waiting for them to catch up. :) Our driver was named Slava. If you happen to meet him tell him we said hi!
I can't wait to see pictures of the baby! How old is he?

Marianne said...

Hi Chris, So happy for you....following along......hey I think we had Dusien in Almaty too as our driver a few times.....he's quite funny and interactive for sure!!!!!! See it really is a small world......Enjoy your time there!!!!!
Marianne
SKM

Anonymous said...

Chris,

It all sounds pretty mind blowing. The pictures of the scenery is beautiful. I am glad that you and BB are having some nice bonding time together. I would imagine it is hard to leave him. But as you say "It is all good". We will try and call you. Thinking of you all the time.

Maureen

Anonymous said...

Chris,

The pictures you took look beautiful. I like your story about them walking, running on ice. I guess it comes with the territory. I am glad that you are spending some nice time with your BB. That is good. Can't believe you have been gone so long already. We will try and reach you soon. We are thinking good thoughts for you all the time.

Maureen

Aaron and Julie said...

Wow - you will look back and be glad that you were able to be part of those babies ride to the babyhouse. It will be something that will stay with you forever and something that you can share with your son if he asks.

Your photos of the mountains are beautiful!

We had your driver one day - he made us laugh with the English Rap music. :)

Our CHI Kaz Adoption said...

Wow a wonderful experience to get to pick up three very special deliveries!! Just think one day they could become the son or daughter of someone reading your blog. The pictures are amazing, I hope to travel soon and to be able to see Kaz in full bloom in the spring. We hope BB's doctor visit is a good one and all goes well.

Brian and Sandy Kelley