Saturday, May 10, 2008

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Some of you have heard me say that this process is one of extreme highs and extreme lows. The joy you experience is often tempered by the reality of the process. This past week I hit what I hope will be the lowest low in my adoption process.


I have to go back to Kazakhstan for another court date. That means that I have taken a huge step backwards in this process. I am now back to waiting for a court date. I am not sure when I will be going back; a temporary legal decree put forth by the higher court in the region prevented me from going before the judge. We are trying to find out when the decree expires so I can go back then.


I was hoping after this last trip that I would be at eight long flights down and four to go. It didn't work out that way, now I'm back to eight flights down and eight more to go.

I would like to thank all of you for your support, kind words and prayers. Please continue to keep me in your prayers so that I get a quick court date and a positive outcome in court.

On a sad note, at home this morning I had to put my cat, Midnight down. I have had Midnight for almost sixteen years and she was healthy up until the last couple of months. She showed her spirit this morning when she growled and hissed at the vet one last time. I’ll miss her. I put some pictures of her below. Chris

13 comments:

Julian and Sara said...

We are so, so sorry about Midnight. Tears are falling on this side of the border - we know how such a loss feels.

Lisa F. said...

I am so sorry to hear about Midnight, on top of all you've been through. I will miss her, we had an understanding. Hope you hear some good news soon. I'm here if and when you need me...

Lisa

Our CHI Kaz Adoption said...

So Sorry to hear of your loss, We know how much our pets mean to us.
We hope you'll recieve good news soon and we'll be praying for you.

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.
John Quincy Adams

The Kelleys

Alysa said...

My heart and prayers go out to you -- what a sad and stressful few days you've had. I hope you get your new court date very soon.

I'm so sorry about Midnight. Losing a pet is very sad -- they are family members.

Take care,
Alysa

Sandi said...

I am so sorry to read about Midnight. I definitely know how this type of loss feels.

Chris I am also so sorry for the hold up to get through court and bring BB home. I am praying for you that you get a quick court date and that you will be down to your last 8 flights.

Sandi

McMary said...

I so feel for you in the setback of bringing BB home--I will pray that everything goes quickly and smoothly from now on.
I hope that you can find some joy in this Mother's Day even though your son is miles away.
I am also sorry to hear about midnight--what a beautiful cat.

Kim said...

Oh I am so sorry about Midnight. The loss of a pet is so heartbreaking. I am praying for all the Esik families!

Kim

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Midnight. I wish I could spare you all of this heartbreak. You don't have to go through this alone. I am here. My prayers are with you today and every day.

Steph and Dusty said...

I am sad to hear about Midnight. Sweet Kitty. I have been through that twice and am sending you good thoughts and prayers to get through this difficult time. I am also hoping that you hear some good news about court.

Hang in there.
Stephanie Baker

Chrissy and Russell said...

Chris, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. What a sweet kitty... i love the little collection of photos... especially the one of Midnight playing "shreddy kitty" (was that grass? catnip?).

We'll be praying right along with you and hoping that you'll hear some good news soon about another court date.

Gretchen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. That is such a hrad thing to do even if it is necessary. Im sorry. Hope you get a date quickly and everything goes smoothly.

Welby said...

Ah man...ain't it always something! You are definitely in our prayers.
And I had to put my 2 cats down, both 16 years old, about 2 years ago...it was very painful. I hope this is definitely your lowest point of lows. Welby

Trudi said...

We lost our two persians just a few months ago - a few months from each other. It killed me - they had been Midnight's age too. I still feel their spirits in the house - they were a strong presence. I am so sorry for what you are going through on all fronts. It WILL get better.