Friday, March 7, 2008

Baby House Day 12

Today’s trip to the baby house took new and different turns. To start with my translator was thirty minutes late. It’s not like my day is full, but the one thing I have to do is be at the baby house on time otherwise I have less time with BB. So because we were late, I was unable to feed him today. All was forgotten when they bought him in to the room, for the first time he reacted to me like he reacts to his caretakers, he was excited and what seemed like surprised to see me. It was great! We played for a while, he climbed all over me and we had fun. He was much more active and talkative than yesterday, I hope this means he is getting over his cold. His caretaker told me that he is in a group of twelve children and now he is not happy being with his group, she says he wants the one-on-one time with me. Not sure how she knows this, but I’ll take it.

During my visit the baby house director came in and asked if I could stay a few more days past my required bonding period which ends on Sunday. She said it would be better for the court if I stayed. I met with my coordinator this afternoon, who also said it would be better if I stayed. Apparently it will look much better if I don’t just do my fourteen days and leave, they like to see more of a commitment. So, I am trying to change my flights so I can stay a few extra days. It looks like I will come home next Sunday, the 16th if I can make the flight changes. This change will make going to work on Monday the 17th interesting to say the least, how well do you think I’ll be able to concentrate after the flights and time change, should be a fun day.

Tomorrow is a national holiday in Kazakhstan, it’s National Women’s Day. It seems to be a very big holiday; the schools will be closed Monday because the holiday falls on Saturday. The baby house director told me I could visit with BB tomorrow; she would let the guard know I would be coming. Slight problem, my driver wants the holiday off so my coordinator asked me if I could take the day off so he could enjoy the holiday with his wife and daughter. I agreed, although I’m going to miss my little BB tomorrow.

One of the families that I have spent a lot of time with this past week is going home tonight; they will be leaving with their new baby boy, James. It has been great getting to know them and spending time with them and I wish them a safe trip back to Virginia.

Thanks to all who have been e-mailing and responding to my blog, both provide a nice connection to home. Good morning/night. Chris

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Day 12 is a significant milestone in your bonding with BB (it will be great when we learn what his name is/will be). He is looking forward to your visits and now has showed his happiness at seeing you. You can't ask for better than that. The good news for returning home on the 16th is that it gives you more time with your baby. Your day off tomorrow will give you a final chance to do a lot of local sightseeing and buy some goodies for your son. Love, Aunt Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, sounds like a very exciting day! That must have felt so great! Looking forward to hearing all about it when you return. Alexis

Aaron and Julie said...

It sounds like BB is doing great with you :) The extra days will be nice, hopefully all will be well when it comes down to getting a court date quickly. I went to work the day after coming home and was okay - the second day is what is really hard.

Lisa F. said...

He certainly is getting to know you and that what this trip was all about! Success! Now let's hope the court date gets set quickly. Looking forward to your return whenever that may be!

Love,
Lisa