Friday, March 14, 2008

Sleep Little BB

Today I was back on schedule for my 8:30 AM pickup to go to the baby house. Asiya, my translator joined us today, it was a good day to have her with me. Once we arrived at the baby house we went into the office and I had to sign several papers which Asiya translated for me. While in the office they bought BB in who looked a little surprised, but not happy, they said it was because he had never been in this room before. What can you say; you just go with what they tell you. Once I finished signing all of the papers, I took BB into the playroom. Let’s just say I’ve seen him happier. Shortly after we got into the playroom they bought his food in, usually I can’t start feeding him fast enough. Not today, he started screaming when I put him in his chair so I tried the high chair, he was still screaming and refusing to eat. After I walked around with him for a few minutes to calm him down and knowing they would not be happy at all if he didn’t eat, I fed him while holding him in my arms and standing, it worked, he ate about 95% of his food. Well 95% wasn’t making the care taker happy, she told me through my translator that he eats this amount every day and he would have to wait until 2 PM to eat again. She tried to give him the rest of his food then finally decided to tell him to be patient for his next feeding and left. Not long after that he fell asleep in my arms and slept there for about an hour, until they came to get him. The first question out of the caretakers mouth was how long has he been sleeping? Of course we said he just fell asleep because she was taking him for his nap. I thought he was sick, but as it turns out she told us that he did not sleep well that morning. When I handed him to her he woke up with that big bright smile again, all was good for me, not sure how well he slept during his nap after I left but I enjoyed my visit!

Today was an absolutely beautiful spring day in Kazakhstan; it had to be at least sixty-five degrees out. I walked down to Paniflov Park, met Sara and Julian and then we did a little shopping on our way over to Yubileyny. It is a food stand that sells tortilla-wrapped doner kebabs. They are stuffed with meat, onions, carrots, pickles, sour cream and French fries. We picked some up and went and sat in one of the numerous parks here to eat, they were good. While in the park we heard very loud music so we walked to it. There was a stage set up and a rally going on, there were signs and hats which translate to something like ‘For a Green City’. We think it has to do with the upcoming national Spring Holiday on March 22nd. Several different people performed, kids were dancing all over the place, police were everywhere and it was being filmed. We started to walk back to my hotel; the park that was behind the stage was lined with Military personnel, one about every ten feet. It put an entirely different feel on what we had just seen, makes you wonder how peaceful this rally really was. Anyway, it was a fun night and we all got free hats!

Tomorrow will be my last day to see BB for a while. I hope he's feeling better tomorrow. I’m not looking forward to leaving him especially since I don’t know how long it will be before I see him again. Hopefully it will be soon! Take care, Chris

5 comments:

Angela said...

Hi, Chris. I have been lurking and just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading about you getting to know BB. I hope that you are back in Almaty very, very soon.

Angela
dossier at NYC Consulate (or MFA!)

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I've really enjoyed reading your daily reports. I hope your visit tomorrow will be a good one. Looking forward to seeing you when you get home.

Paula

McMary said...

I have been enjoying your stories about BB and your bonding with him. Today sounded like an especially touching day--you were the one that knew what he needed.
What a great mother.
I hope you will be back with him soon.

Anonymous said...

Chris, I've finally caught up on all your entries. BB sounds great and your mothering skills developed very quickly! It's hard enough to figure out what babies want, let alone do it while being watched and in a short time frame. The length of bonding period sounds like it was needed so you could see different sides of him.
I looked to see why you were calling him BB altho I didn't see it, I'm guessing it was a tiny bit of separation - just in case. I'm sure you have a name in mind now that you have met him.
Hard to believe you've already been gone 3 weeks and on your way home. I'll find you on ST on Monday. Bryan will be here this week so we'll come see you to hear all your stories in person. Congratulations!!

Aaron and Julie said...

Chris,

We are praying that your court date will be assigned soon so that you can return to BB!!!

Julie