Saturday, March 1, 2008

Speed Feeding

Today is the day I was finally able to feed BB, unfortunately BB is coming down with a cold and he was not a happy camper. When they gave him to me he was breathing heavily and he was very cranky. A short time later they bought his food in and showed me how they feed him. They sit him in a chair, stand behind him, hold the bowl of food next to his chin and spoon it in. OK, so I tried that, there were two problems, he was so miserable he didn’t want to eat and I didn’t know that the object of this is to get the food into him so quickly that he doesn’t have time to cry. They heard him crying with me and came in and showed me the speed technique. Once he was done eating, they put him right in for a nap because he is getting sick. That was disappointing because my time with him today was cut very short.

The care giver through my translator on the phone told me to come back tomorrow to try it again. She said she was happy I wanted to feed him, that I was doing well but I needed more practice. I guess the speed technique is a learned skill. I’ll give it another shot tomorrow but if they put him in right for a nap I think I’ll have to wait till I get him home to try the speed technique again. I’d rather spend more time with him now than feed him and leave right away.

I have read on several of the adoption groups that the kids eat very quickly when they go home, now I know why.

When I got back to the hotel I decided to try and find this amazing market that everyone says you have to see, you might have guessed it, I still can’t read the street signs or the abbreviations on them. I walked further than I had before but I couldn’t tell which street I was supposed to turn on. The book I have shows a street name but nothing matched up so two and a half hours later I went back to the hotel and watched a movie. I’ll give it another try, maybe I’ll get lucky.

Tonight I am meeting another adoptive family for dinner; it will be nice to talk to someone without an interpreter or who doesn’t look at me like I’m from another planet when I speak. They will be here a few more days. Enjoy your weekend! Chris

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a travel guidebook called "Guide to Almaty: Stranded on the Silk Road" that I think you can find on the 3rd floor of the Tsum in Almaty (in the souvenir section). It has a nice map of the city in English, along with restaurant reviews among other things (a few years outdated). It is a bright yellow book about the size of a Reader's Digest. We had it on our trip to Almaty a few years ago and it was great. Just a thought in case you werre looking to explore the city some more.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Congrats on your journey to find your little boy! I am so happy for you! I did it 2years ago and am waiting to adopt again. I was in Almaty for only a few days but loved the park with the church and war memorial. Do you know which one I mean?I can't remember the name though. It's a beautiful church built with out a single nail! Hope you can find it and walk there. It was so peaceful there....I hope you enjoy your time ....will you be able to take your little guy home after the bonding period? Did you have to go through a selection process when you first got there? Are you working with Olga , CHI coordinator? Dusien, the driver is quite fun isn't he!!!
Take care!
Marianne
Mom to Talgi
mzeun@cox.net

Lisa F. said...

You are much more adventurous then I would be! Hope you enjoy your dinner and that BB is feeling better soon so you can enjoy your time with him.

Love, Lisa

Kim said...

The green market? You should definitely try again, it is worth it just to see the meat department. :)

Kim

Julian and Sara said...

Hi Chris! I just found your blog from a reference on another blog. My husband and I are currently in Almaty until the end of March (approximately). We're adopting from BH#2 in Almaty city. Some of the photos you've posted are the same view we have from our apartment. Let us know if you would like to get together. You can email me at yeomans_sara@yahoo.ca or leave a comment on our blog at http://yeomans2kaz.blogspot.com/.

Sara

Anonymous said...

Hello Chris, You will find that you and BB will develop a feeding technique that works best for both of you when you are together at home. Right now is the time to get to know him better and lavish lots of love and affection on him. Really enjoyed the pictures - beats seeing them in a book. Love, Aunt Sandy