Monday, March 31, 2008

My Holiday…

Today is a holiday for me; no it’s not the date March 31st. that’s the holiday. My holiday falls on a different spring date every year; my holiday is Opening Day at Yankee Stadium. I have been going to Opening Day since I was a teenager; let me say it for you, that’s a long time! I have sat through the first game of the New York Yankees baseball season on glorious sunny spring days, in the pouring rain, in frigid cold and in blinding snowstorms. The weather on Opening Day is just as much a part of the ritual as the tailgating is before the game.

Every Opening Day offers eternal optimism for the die hard baseball fan, will my team have a chance, will this be the year that my team wins it all? Before I became a partial season ticket holder I used to buy tickets for two games before the season started, Opening Day and the last game of the season. I would have tickets in my hands for the start of something that could truly be magical and tickets for the end of something that just might mean something, who knows, they might have to win the last game of the season to get into the playoffs. Once again, the baseball optimist strikes!

This year I did not buy tickets for Opening Day, tickets go on sale months before the season starts and as many of you know, I am waiting for travel dates to go back to Kazakhstan. So my streak of Opening Day games ends, but only temporarily. Once my BB is old enough, we will have to start another streak, my spring holiday will become his spring holiday and we will share this spring ritual together. I hope I can impart my love for the game and my eternal baseball optimism to BB. I'd like to start that soon!

On that note, I am still waiting for my court date and I have not heard anything yet. I’ll post it here when I hear something. Missing BB…. Chris

P.S. This morning it was very strange for me to get ready for work and to not be getting ready to go to the game. I felt that familiar tug that meant I should be on my way to the Bronx. Right now it is 2:10 PM and the Yankees Home Opener is in a rain delay, they are not sure they will get the game in today. Been there, done that! Go Yanks!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christine, I thought of you so much today an wondered if you were at the game. You are right though, next year will start a new tradition with you and BB front and center. Go Yanks
Maureen

greta said...

I am sorry you haven't heard anything yet. I think of you often!
What a cool tradition and I can't wait to see the pictures this time next year with you and BB at the game!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,
That is a wonderful tradition! My little guy/girl will be a Mets fan!
Regards,
mary p

Kim said...

OH MY GOD. Forget it, we can no longer "chat!" Uggg....another Yankee fan. :)

You know, my holiday is next Tuesday when the WORLD CHAMPION Red Sox open up at home with a nice little ring ceremony......

LOL!